top of page

Acerca de

Grape/Sultana Toxicity

Grapes and sultanas can cause renal failure if ingested by dogs. Foods containing these ingredients , such as fruit cake and muesli are all potential sources of this toxin. 

Unfortunately there is no established toxic dose for any of these potential poisons. Keep in mind;

1) Dogs are more likely to become poisoned if they ingest large amounts of fruit and,

2) there appears to be ‘individual’ sensitivity in dogs. Some dogs appear to be tolerate to small doses of the fruit without consequence while other dogs may develop poisoning after eating just a few grapes or sultanas. At this time, there is no way to predict which dogs may be more sensitive.

If you suspect your dog may have eaten grapes or sultanas, contact us on 6766 3088  immediately. It is always best to induce vomiting before absorption of the fruit occurs .

The most common early symptom of grape or raisin toxicity is vomiting. which is generally seen within 24 hours hours following ingestion. Lack of appetite, lethargy, and possibly diarrhoea can be also seen within the next 12-24 hours. More severe signs are not seen for 24-48 hours after ingestion – often after acute kidney damage has already begun. Signs of acute kidney failure include nausea, lack of appetite, vomiting,  abdominal pain, excessive thirst, and excessive urination. 

Image by Nacho Domínguez Argenta
bottom of page