Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Symptoms typically occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate, though assessment and treatment may be required immediately. Use our chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs to work out whether your dog has eaten a potentially toxic amount.
If your dog has eaten chocolate, our calculator can tell you whether an emergency vet visit is required. This calculator is a guide only and if your pet is showing any symptoms of toxicity please call us immediately.